...being an account of one hopeful young(ish) performer's adventures on the road to stardom. Or at least a paying job.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Argh! My Eyes! Or, what not to do on the day of your headshots.

So today was a rather busy day for me. After staying up late creating this masterpiece of a Blog, this morning I had to go to the optometrist to get contact lenses fitted. I've never worn them before, making do with my funky but impractical glasses.


Sadly, an up-and-coming actress can't be cast as 'funky' in every role, nor can I attempt to grande jetee across the room in a dance call with (awesome) plastic frames on my face. That being said, if you ever need to cast a dirty secretary or librarian, I'm your girl.


Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked. You'll find that I often do. Deal with it.


So after getting hideous orange dye dropped into my eyes and blowing Oompa Loompa out of my nose for the next half hour, I get told that I


a) have a cataract


b) have astigmatism, making it tricky to fit contacts


You might think that option (a) was the most worrying, but hey, it's a little one and it's probably been there my whole life. I need to SEE, goddammit!


Happily, the optometrist has some trial lenses handy, which she teaches me how to insert and remove, and I spend the next few minutes poking myself in the eye, pretty much on purpose. All is well, and I sally forth with my new lenses, but feeling strangely naked without my glasses and no makeup on.


Handy Hint: Glasses are amazing at hiding the fact that you have no makeup on.


Now, today I had booked a shoot for new headshots (you know, those pictures actors have that make you look more glamorous and talented than you actually are), so I decide to treat myself to some new skincare. Being of the sensitive skin persuasion, I go for a brand I've used and liked, although giving a new product a go.


Big Mistake.


Turns out, although I've had no problems in the past with this stuff, something in the special 'facial' version makes my eyes VERY irritated, red, puffy and watering. Yes, you might be saying - 'uh, you've been poking yourself in the eye with weird stuff all morning.'


I know this, but having now come home and thoroughly washed my face and eliminating the problem, I'm pretty sure it was the damn face cream.


Cut to the headshot shoot, where the photographer (who was really lovely), kept worrying that my eyes were watering. Several touchups later, I decided that the 'dewy eyed' look was going to have to do, and in the end the shots turned out really great, despite the fact that I was dripping from my face the entire time.


Good work, Miss K.

No comments:

Post a Comment